5 Tips for lowering chronically high cortisol.
1. Breathing exercises. There are many different breathing exercises including the Yogi Breathe (one nostril breathing) and deep diaphragmatic breathing that has been proved to lower your cortisol levels. Do these 3 times per day or whenever you feel your stress levels climbing during the day.
2. Yoga. This is a wonderful way to lower chronically high cortisol levels. Often if you suffer from high cortisol levels you may feel stressed and anxious and high intensity exercises may actually aggrevate you stress levels.
3. Meditation. Research shows that regular meditation can lower anxiety levels and reduce your body's tendency to respond to stress (ie lower stress reactivity).
4. Avoid stimulants. Often we rely on caffeine to pick us up in the mornings and a glass of wine to wind us down at night...this is one of the worst things you can do for high cortisol levels. Try reducing your caffeine intake and even weaning off it completely.
5. Eat chocolate! Now isn't that the best news you have had all day? Research studies show that eating a good quality dark chocolate with a high percentage of cacao actually decreases cortisol levels .
Disclaimer : Health related information provided in these posts are for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or to treat any disease, nor does it replace professional medical advice. Always consult with your primary health care provider if you have any health concerns or queries.